ARC Review: The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

Title: The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere #1)
Author: Heidi Heilig 
Genre: Fantasy 
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: February 16th 2016
Add it to Goodreads!

Summary: 
Heidi Heilig’s debut teen fantasy sweeps from modern-day New York City to nineteenth-century Hawaii to places of myth and legend. Sixteen-year-old Nix has sailed across the globe and through centuries aboard her time-traveling father’s ship. But when he gambles with her very existence, it all may be about to end. The Girl from Everywhere, the first of two books, will dazzle readers of Sabaa Tahir, Rae Carson, and Rachel Hartman. Nix’s life began in Honolulu in 1868. Since then she has traveled to mythic Scandinavia, a land from the tales of One Thousand and One Nights, modern-day New York City, and many more places both real and imagined. As long as he has a map, Nix’s father can sail his ship, The Temptation, to any place, any time. But now he’s uncovered the one map he’s always sought—1868 Honolulu, before Nix’s mother died in childbirth. Nix’s life—her entire existence—is at stake. No one knows what will happen if her father changes the past. It could erase Nix’s future, her dreams, her adventures . . . her connection with the charming Persian thief, Kash, who’s been part of their crew for two years. If Nix helps her father reunite with the love of his life, it will cost her her own. In The Girl from Everywhere, Heidi Heilig blends fantasy, history, and a modern sensibility with witty, fast-paced dialogue, breathless adventure, and enchanting romance.

Review:  


I loved The Girl From Everywhere so much that all I want to do is say: "PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK NOW! BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!" But I can't do that for my whole review, and I am still speechless. Here are some GIFs of my reactions to reading while I get my words together: 

Seriously. Add it to your TBR now! 
Ugh. I want more! 
Dear Kash, I love you! *sobs* Why are you fictional? 

Okay, I am composed enough now to talk about this book. (The top portion was drafted three days before I actually wrote my review) 

The writing in this book was a beautiful mix of cultures, legends and adventure that came together in a perfect harmony to create a unique story. I did expect something a little different based off the summary of The Girl From Everywhere but I am equally content with what Heidi has given her readers. 

 I enjoyed Nix's character, as well as all the other characters that were introduced. Nix is a member on the Temptation, a ship her father uses to travel through time. Yes, time travel. But Nix's father who is obsessed with traveling back to the time before the love of his life died, is unconsciously threatening Nix's existence. A big part of this story was Nix's struggle with Slate. (her father) In his obsession to find the map that will take him back to Nix's mother he has driven himself mad. Naturally failing to be much of a father to Nix. I can understand why she struggled to love her father, and wanted to jump ship as soon as she learned how to navigate a ship herself. 

I do enjoy a romance in the books that I read, but I dislike when that is the biggest focus. In the case of The Girl From Everywhere the romance was there but pushed to the back. Kashmir, one of the deck hands on the Temptation and Nix's best friend falls into the role of a love interest from the beginning. There is just something about their encounters. Then there is Mr. Hart a young man who calls the island home. I liked Kashmir a lot better.

Heidi has said that The Girl From Everywhere could be read as a stand alone but there will be a second book that picks up from where Nix's story left off. Overall this story is one that I won't be able to recommend enough! 

Rating:


3 comments

  1. YAY! So glad to hear you loved this one Amber! I've been so intrigued about it and totally dying to read it! I have it preordered and it cannot get here soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I haven't read this yet but based on how much you loved this, I'll have to keep it in mind :)

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not too fond of time travel stories, but I love Hawaiian history. This might be something I would be interested in. Thanks for the review, Amber.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️